This simple but DELICIOUS Garlic Lime Crema is a show stopper at taco night every single time.
Of course, there's no rule that says you should stop at tacos. Use this sauce as a topping for grilled chicken or steak, roasted salmon, or tossed into a bowl of white rice. The possibilities are basically endless.
What is Garlic Lime Crema?
Crema is traditionally a buttermilk-based sauce that's a little thinner and less acidic than sour cream, as Isabel from Isabel Eats explains in her recipe for Mexican Crema.
However, since I rarely have buttermilk on hand, I decided to create a recipe for Garlic Lime Crema using sour cream, which I almost always have on hand. Lime juice, half and half, and water thin it it out to achieve the appropriate consistency.
The spicy punchy flavor of freshly grated garlic, combined with the acidic lime and tangy/creamy sour cream makes this crema a true flavor bomb. I use it all the time on tacos, sandwiches, meats, and salads. Plus, my version has just 5 ingredients: Sour cream, lime, garlic, half&half, and salt. Therefore, it's wildly easy to whip up in under 5 minutes.
You might also like...
Click here for Mexican-inspired charred salsa recipes.
A creamy flavor bomb of a sauce that will take your taco night to the next level.
- 1 pint full fat sour cream (see note 1)
- The juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tb half and half or milk
- 2 gloves of garlic, grated
- Salt, to taste
- Place the sour cream, lime juice, half and half, and large pinch of salt in a medium side mixing bowl.
- Using a microplane, grate 2 cloves of garlic directly into the bowl.
- Whisk to combine and add 2Tb of water to loosen the crema. Continue to add 1 Tb at a time until it reaches a thick liquid consistency.
Keywords: Garlic Lime Crema