This Shakshuka with Bacon and Sweet Potatoes is a deeply flavorful, easy-to-make one pan meal. Ready in under 30 minutes.
- 4 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into large chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup of red onion, diced
- 14oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- Nutmeg, corriander, cumin, chili powder, about 1/2tsp each
- 2 Tb fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 slices of your favorite bread, cut diagonally and toasted
- 1/4c shredded or grated cheese. Use any kind that suits your mood; gouda, cheddar, and parm have all proven to work well in this dish.
- Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper
- Mise en place: Slice and dice all of your ingredients first and set them aside so they're readily available as you need them throughout the recipe. You can also toast your bread during the prep phase.
- Heat a medium cast iron skillet or saucepan over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook bacon for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crispy all over. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from skillet and place it on a paper towel set to the aside. Discard most of the bacon fat, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan.
- Increase flame to medium-high and add 1Tb of olive oil to the same skillet you used to cook the bacon. Add the sweet potatoes, onions, and jalapeños, and season with salt and pepper. Once the sweet potato mixture has browned slightly, add the spices and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the bacon back to the pan along with the canned tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and bring mixture to a simmer. Let it simmer for 3 minutes then add salt to taste. Top with an even layer of cheese then make 4 divets in the sauce and drop 1 egg directly into each divet.
- Cover and cook until the egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes. Top with fresh parsley. Place the whole skillet on a hot plate on your table and serve yourselves.
Keywords: shakshuka with bacon, bacon and sweet potato shakshuka