- 3 small-medium sized beets, roasted and cubed
- 3 small-medium sized butter potatoes, roasted and torn
- 1/4c dill, roughly chopped
- 1/2c mayonaise
- 1/2c red wine vinegar
- 1/4c red onion, diced
- 1 Tb capers, roughly chopped
- 2 Tb prepared horseradish. Less if using fresh. That stuff is potent!
- Salt, pepper, cayenne
- Wrap each beet and potato individually with foil, place them in a 400 degree oven, and roast them until a fork or knife inserted into the center meets little resistance, about 45-60 minutes. Try to use beets and potatoes of the same size so they all cook at the same rate. Beets vary greatly in size, so if you can't find similar ones, simply remove smaller ones from the oven first, and test the larger ones every 10-15 minutes after that. I didn't have any say in the matter, since mine were from Misfits Market, which sends me "misfit" produce. One beet was massive, the other quite small. We make do.
- Remove beets and potatoes from foil and allow them to cool slightly, then gently scrape off the skin with a spoon and discard it. Cut beets into 1 inch cubes, and use a fork to tear potatoes into chunks, rather than cutting them. Place beets and potatoes in a large bowl.
- n a smaller bowl combine the mayonnaise, red vinegar, dill, horseradish, capers, and red onion. Gently fold this dressing into the beet/potato mixture, making sure you don't completely mash your potatoes. They will break down a little. That's a good thing! Season with 2 large pinches of salt, several cracks of black pepper, and a normally sized pinch of cayenne. Sorry, I can't be more specific than that.