- 1/2 of a head of green cabbage, sliced
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of White Vinegar
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of country dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of agave
- 1.5 teaspoons of fennel seeds, toasted and ground up
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons of fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- Slice the cabbage, apple, red onion, and jalapeno as thinly as you can. Place the sliced ingredients in a very large mixing bowl and set it aside.
- Make the dressing. Finely chop the walnuts and parsley and place them in a medium bowl with the olive oil.
- Toast the fennel seeds over low heat in a small pan, for just 1 minute, taking care not to let them burn. Once they're fragrant and toasty, use a mortar and pestle or even a drink muddler to crush and grind them as finely as possible. Add them to the bowl with the parsley, walnuts, and olive oil. Wait 1 minute to allow the fennel to flavor the oil Then add the vinegar, dijon, agave, salt, and pepper.
- Add the delicious dressing to the the apple cabbage salad mixture and toss it all up until well combined.
- Taste for seasoning, specifically for salt and vinegar.