The delicious meatball version of classic chicken parm, this Chicken Parmesan Meatballs Recipe is a crowd favorite.
For the meatball mixture
- 1 pound of Ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup of finely grated parmesan cheese.
- 1/3 cup of plain breadcrumbs, plus more depending on the moisture in the chicken
- 1/3 cup of chopped parsley or other fresh herbs
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup of olive oil, for pan frying
- 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs
For the sauce
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt (add the salt directly to the can of tomatoes and stir to combine)
- 8 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese, torn by hand
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Place the breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, cayenne, and grated garlic in a large bowl, and stir to combine.Then add the ground meat and egg and mix again until the ingredients are all well mixed.
- Place a cup of breadcrumbs in a small mixing bowl. Use your hands to form 2.5-inch balls of the meat mixture, and drop 3 meatballs in the breadcrumbs at a time. Swirl the bowl around until the meatballs are fully coated in breadcrumbs. Place breaded meatballs on a plate.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet that is oven safe, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, place the meatballs in the skillet in a single layer. Flip after 2-3 minutes and fry meatballs for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Turn off the heat, wait 30 seconds, and pour the can of crushed tomatoes and salt directly over the top of the meatballs. (Mix the salt into the can of tomatoes before pouring the tomatoes into the skillet.)
- Sprinkle the parmesan and torn mozzarella over the top of the sauce and transfer the whole skillet to the oven.
- Bake the meatballs for 30 minutes, or until the sauce is heated through and cheese starts to bubble along the sides of the skillet. Top with fresh parsley and serve.
Keywords: Chicken Parmesan Meatballs Recipe; Chicken Parmesan Meatballs, Chicken Parm Meatballs