Calabrian Chili Lime Shrimp is a Mexican-Spanish-Italian fusion recipe with a perfect balance of spice and lime, and a delicious pan sauce.
- 1 pound of extra large shrimp; raw, deveined, tail-on, and defrosted if frozen
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of Calabrian chili peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh black pepper
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 1/4 cup of dry vermouth (or white wine)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- Place the raw shrimp in a medium bowl and grate in the garlic, then add the Calabrian chilis, oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the shrimp in the skillet in an even layer. Then flip after 2 minutes. Cook the shrimp for 2 minutes on the second side as well. Burnt-on bits or fond should be forming on the bottom of the pan... That's a good thing!
- Remove shrimp from pan and into a bowl. Turn the heat to medium-low and deglaze the fond in pan with the lime juice and vermouth. Use a spatula to help you scrape up all those bits. Simmer and reduce by about half. (This will only take minute or 2)
- Stir in the butter. If at any point the sauce gets too thick or if it appears oily/broken, add a splash of water.
- Add the shrimp back and toss to coat in the delicious pan sauce. Top with fresh cilantro or parsley and serve.
Keywords: chili lime shrimp, chili lime shrimp recipe