Perfectly seasoned slices of eggplant, breaded and fried until lightly golden, and served with a pile of lightly dressed greens. An Milan-style classic Italian dish.
- 1 eggplant, half-peeled, and sliced into approximately 20 slices.
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs (See note 1)
- 1/4 cup finely grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 Eggs, scrambled
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper, divided
- Olive oil, for frying
- Your favorite arugula salad as a side dish/ topping
- Slice eggplant and chop parsley as described above. Then prepare the dredges. In one bowl combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon (a pinch) of cayenne pepper. In the next bowl scramble 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon of water. In the third bowl combine the breadcrumbs, parsley, oregano, pecorino, and the other other half teaspoons of salt and pepper.
- Dredge the eggplants by coating each slice in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Align on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 20 minutes. If serving with a salad, this is a great time to toss some arugula with a little lemon and olive oil.
- Over medium-high heat, heat a sauté pan or large frying pan with about a 1/2-inch coating of olive oil. Once hot, lower the heat to medium or medium-low to prevent burning. Fry eggplant cutlets in batches, about 3-4 at a time, for 90 seconds on each side. Just until they become lightly golden brown. (see note 2)
- Once cooked move eggplant cutlets onto a cooling rack set over sheet pan OR onto a platter lined with a couple paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- Serve with the arugula salad, or by itself. (see note 3)
- If you want an ultra crunchy eggplant Milanese, use Panko. If you want more of a subtle crunch, use regular breadcrumbs.
- It helps to move the eggplants around in the frying oil every so often so they cook evenly. Make sure there's enough oil under each slice by lifting the eggplant cutlets slightly with a fork to allow movement of hot oil underneath them.
- A simple pile of arugula dressed with oil, lemon, salt and pepper would be absolutely spectacular. however, I like to serve this dish with my recipe for Lemon Arugula Pasta Salad for a more hearty meal.
Keywords: eggplant milanese, aubergine milanese, fried aubergine, eggplant cutlets, breaded eggplant cutlets,