A delightful hot and sour sauce makes tofu an exciting vegetarian dish.
- 1 Block of firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 cup of sliced baby Bella and/or shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of sliced carrots
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced, whites and green separated
- 1.5 Tb gochujang
- 1.5 Tb white miso paste
- The juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 Tb soy sauce
- 1Tb rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sake
- Olive oil and sesame oil, for sautéing
- Salt, pepper, black garlic if you have it.
- Chopped herbs such as cilantro, basil, or mint
- Rice for serving
- Wrap the block of tofu in a kitchen towel and place a heavy pan over it for approximately 10 minutes.
- While your tofu's liquid is being extracted, prepare your vegetables as stated above.
- Make your simmering liquid by combining the gochujang, lime juice, rice vinegar, miso paste, soy sauce, and sake, if using, with 1/2 cup of water. Set it aside.
- Cut tofu twice length wise, so you have 3 thin, flat slabs of tofu. Then cut them 3 times crosswise in both directions to make cubes.
- Heat 2Tb olive oil and a drop of sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, arrange tofu in an even layer in the pan. Cook for at least 2 minutes undisturbed, or until the bottom of the tofu becomes lightly browned. Flip each piece, season with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of black garlic if using, and cook for 1-2 minutes on the second side. Remove from pan and place on a plate to the side.
- Add more olive oil to the pan if most of it was soaked up by the tofu and add the carrots and scallion whites. Sauté for 3 minutes until carrots start to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers and sauté for 3 minutes longer, until mushrooms start to soften and take on color as well. Add the hot and sour sauce and allow it to deglaze the pan for about 1 minute. Then stir in the tofu and scallion greens. Cook until most of the liquid has reduced and the tofu and vegetables are coated in sauce.
- Serve over rice topped with fresh herbs.
Keywords: hot and sour tofu