For the Peppers
- 1 pound of Italian Long Hot Peppers
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves OR 1 clove per person
- 1 teaspoon of lemon or orange peel or zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of dry thyme, oregano, rosemary, and/or bay leaves (use at least one dry herb)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or sherry vinegar (optional)
For the Parmesan Breadcrumb Topping
- 1/2 cup of Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese (or pecorino)
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter (salted or unsalted are both fine)
- Place the Italian Long Hot Peppers long ways in an 8x10 baking dish. Then add the dry herbs, salt, pepper and top with the olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Roast the peppers in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 1 hour, tossing every 15-20 minutes so all the peppers make contact with the oil.
- Meanwhile, while the peppers roast, make the breadcrumb topping. Heat the butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toss to coat in the butter. Cook them, tossing frequently, for about 2 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Turn off the heat, transfer them to a small bowl or plate to cool off, and stir in the grated cheese.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and discard the bay leaves and lemon rinds, if using. Using tongs, transfer peppers to a serving bowl and top with the lemon juice or sherry vinegar, if using. DO NOT discard the oil! Top peppers with the breadcrumbs and serve right away with the extra oil on the side.
Keywords: italian long hot peppers, italian long hots, italian long hot peppers recipe