Pasta Frittata is an Italian staple that combines either leftover or fresh pasta with eggs to create a filling, nutrient-packed week of prepared breakfasts. This recipe is even more nutritious, with its addition of beans and zucchini.
For the vegetable-pasta mixture
- 6-8 ounces of any pasta you want. Long pasta is common, but I prefer short pasta like fusilli
- 1 pound of zucchini or other vegetable such as red peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, or asparagus. You can also use any cooked vegetable you may have leftover in your refrigerator.
- 5 ounces of beans such as Brami Lupini Beans (pictured), chick peas, or cannelini beans
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
For the Egg Mixture
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Preparation: Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If you're not using leftover pasta, boil a pot of salted water to make the pasta per package instructions. When the pasta is done cooking, drain it and rinse it under cool water, and set it aside. Dice the zucchini and set it aside as well.
- To make the egg mixture whisk eggs, milk, and sour cream in a large bowl. It's OK if the sour cream doesn't fully incorporate into the eggs. It will fully melt into the eggs while baking.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, salt, and pepper, and sauté, only stirring occasionally so the zucchini can brown nicely against the bottom of the pan. Sauté until the zucchini has darkened nicely, approximately 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and fold in the beans and cold pasta. (Room temperature pasta is fine too. But hot pasta as will start to cook the egg, which we don't want to happen yet)
- Pour the eggs evenly all over the pasta mixture. Then transfer the skillet to the oven for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. (The eggs should be set in the center)
- Slice the frittata and serve it, or wrap in individual servings for breakfast or lunch the next day.
Keywords: leftover pasta frittata recipe, pasta frittata, frittata di pasta, frittata pasta, frittata di maccheroni