- 1 Head of Red Cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 12 oz white button or baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices of thick cut bacon, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 oz yellow cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Tb Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tb Worstershire
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Olive oil, salt, and pepper for seasoning
- Sour Cream (optional, for serving)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Heat your Lodge Cast Iron Skillet over medium high heat and add the bacon. Cook until most of the bacon fat has rendered and bacon is has browned, then add the onions, mushrooms, jalapeños, and paprika and sauté for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add the breadcrumbs and sauté for another minute just until the breadcrumbs begin to toast.
- Remove the mixture from the skillet, then add olive oil and arrange cabbage wedges so they make as much contact with the skillet as possible. Sear the cabbages for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they're charred.
- While the cabbage is searing, make the deglazing liquid by combining mustard, Worcestershire, diced pickles, and water. Then add this liquid to the skillet, which will deglaze the fond from the bottom of the skillet and help cook the cabbage steaks through.
- Top cabbages with the bacon mixture and move the whole cast iron pan to the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the skillet, top cabbages with the grated cheddar cheese, and return the skillet to the oven, this time on the broil setting for about 3 minutes, just until the cheese bubbles and starts to brown a little. (Time will vary depending on how hot your oven gets)
- Enjoy topped with a little sour cream if you wish.
Keywords: red cabbage steaks, braise cabbage with bacon and onion