A delicious combination of spicy nutty shrimp and luscious white rice wrapped like a present inside a crunchy piece of romaine lettuce.
For the Peanut Sauce
- 3Tb rice vinegar
- 2Tb peanut butter, preferably chunky for its texture
- 1Tb chopped Calabrian chili peppers
- 1Tb sesame oil
- 1Tb soy sauce
- 2Tb olive oil
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled, devained, tails removed
- 1c white rice (measured dry)
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separate
- 12 butter lettuce leaves, or 6 halved romaine leaves, for wrapping
- Mise en place: Prepare your shrimp first by making sure they're fully thawed and removing their tails. Toss with a pinch of salt and pepper and set shrimp aside. Prepare lettuce cups by washing and drying several lettuce leaves. Set them aside. Rinse the rice 4 times. Cook it per package instructions. While the rice cooks, make the spicy peanut sauce by whisking together the first 5 ingredients. Set it aside. Slice scallions and set these aside as well.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp to the skillet in an even layer, and top with the scallion whites. Cook shrimp for 2.5 minutes, flip, and cook for 2.5 minutes on the other side. Shrimp may start to stick to the pan, which is a good thing.
- Once the shrimps have cooked through, add the peanut sauce, scallion greens, and a splash of water to the pan, which will help deglaze any burnt-on bits on the bottom of the pan. Toss to coat shrimp and cook until most water has evaporated and the sauce clings to the shrimp. This should happen quickly, 1-2 minutes, if your pan is hot enough.
- Allow each person to assemble their own lettuce cups with rice and shrimp.
Keywords: shrimp wraps, shrimp lettuce wraps, Calabrian chili pepper recipe