For the Peanut Sauce
- 3Tb rice vinegar
- 2Tb peanut butter, preferably chunky for its texture
- 1Tb chopped Calabrian chili
- 1Tb sesame oil
- 1Tb soy sauce
For the Pickled Celery Topping
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced in any and all directions
- 1/2tsp sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 1/4c white distilled vinegar
- 1Tb freshly chopped herbs such as basil, mint, or cilantro
- 2Tb olive oil
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled, devained, tails removed
- 1c white rice (measured dry)
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separate
- 12 butter lettuce leaves, or 6 halved romaine leaves, for wrapping
- Mise en place: Prepare your shrimp first by making sure they're fully thawed and removing their tails. Toss with a pinch of salt and pepper and set shrimp aside. Prepare lettuce cups by washing and drying several lettuce leaves. Set them aside. Rinse the rice 4 times, until it is less murky than the first few rinses, but not quite clear. Cook it per package instructions. While the rice cooks, make the spicy peanut sauce by whisking together the first 5 ingredients. Set it aside. Slice scallions and set these aside as well.
- Make the pickled celery salad by placing sliced celery in a bowl just large enough to hold it. Use your fingers to massage 1tsp of salt into the celery. This will draw some water out of the celery, which will make it less intensely crunchy. Add the sugar, herbs, and distilled vinegar, and toss to combine. Place it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp to the skillet in an even layer, and top with the scallion whites. Cook shrimp for 2.5 minutes, flip, and cook for 2.5 minutes on the other side. Shrimp may start to stick to the pan, which is a good thing.
- Once the shrimps have cooked through, add the peanut sauce, scallion greens, and a splash of water to the pan, which will help deglaze any burnt-on bits on the bottom of the pan. Toss to coat shrimp and cook until most water has evaporated and the sauce clings to the shrimp. This should happen quickly, 1-2 minutes, if your pan is hot enough.
- Allow each person to assemble their own lettuce cups with rice, shrimp, and pickled celery salad.
Keywords: shrimp wraps, shrimp lettuce wraps, Calabrian chili pepper recipe