This Spicy Cucumber Salad is so crunchy, flavorful, and incredibly easy to make. it's the perfect side dish for summer potlucks, or whenever you feel like eating something bright and refreshing.
- 2 Garden cucumbers (AKA wax cucumbers)
- 4 oz of white onion, sliced (approximately 1/3 of an onion. Red onions are a good alternative if that's what you have on hand)
- 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar
- 1/4 cup of any other light colored vinegar (such as rice wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or white balsamic vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of Black Sesame Seeds
- 3 Calabrian Chili peppers packed in oil, such as these.
- 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove half of the cucumbers' skin in strips. Then score them with a fork and slice them into rounds. Slice the onion and place cucumbers and onions in a medium or large mixing bowl.
- Add the salt. Toss well using your clean hands. And set them aside for 5 minutes.
- While the cucumbers release some of their water content, toast the sesame seeds in a small, dry nonstick pan over medium heat for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Then remove them from the pan and set them aside. Slice 3 Calabrian Chili Peppers and set them aside as well.
- Drain the excess moisture / water from the bottom of the bowl of salted cucumbers.
- Add the sugar, white distilled vinegar, and your other light vinegar of choice to the bowl of cucumbers. Use your hands once more to toss and combine.
- The final step is to plate your crunchy cucumber salad on a platter or in a wide serving bowl and top with the toasted sesame seeds and 3 sliced Calabrian chili peppers.
Keywords: Spicy Cucumber Salad, Spicy Cucumber Salad Recipe, Cucumber Salad Recipe, sweet and sour cucumbers, spicy cucumbers recipe