These incredibly comforting, sweet and savory, autumn-ready spin on chicken meatballs are so easy to make and so tasty to eat.
For the Chicken Apple Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 tb olive oil
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 of a Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 oz cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 c fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely diced
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 Tsp salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper and cayenne to taste
For the Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tb butter
- 2Tb maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp each: cinnamon, coriander, cumin, and nutmeg
- Salt and cayenne to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400F and bake the sweet potatoes until a knife easily cuts to the center without resistance. This may make 60-75 minutes, depending on their size, so allow them to cook for 30 minutes before starting the meatballs.
- In a small sauté pan, heat 1 Tb olive oil and add the onion, apple, and a pinch of salt. Sauté for ~5-7 minutes, or until they begin to soften. then deglaze the pan with soy sauce and remove the pan from heat to cool.
- Prepare a baking sheet lightly greased with olive oil.
- In a large bowl add the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, walnuts, ginger, salt, pepper, cayenne, and the cooked onion/apple mixture. Use your hands to combine.
- Form into 2-inch balls and place on the baking sheet. If making 2-inch balls, the recipe will make about 14-16 meatballs. Bake on 400F for 15 minutes. (If they stick a little, use a fish spatula to remove them from the baking sheet)
- When the sweet potatoes are finished cooking, peel them and place the flesh in a bowl. Add the butter, maple syrup, and spices. Mash with a fork. Serve with meatballs and an extra drizzle of maple syrup.
Keywords: apple chicken meatballs, chicken apple meatballs, chicken and apple meatballs