This 3-Ingredient Chili Cheese Dip has only, you guessed it, 3 ingredients: cream cheese, a can of chili, and cheddar cheese. And let me tell you, it is a crowd favorite. I think the reason it's so popular is that it delivers on flavor, convenience, and cost, and takes just a few minutes to assemble.
Then it spends the rest of its cook time in the oven. It really doesn't get easier than that... The perfect appetizer to make for game day or even potluck parties.
It may come as a shock to you that this Italian American recipe blogger grew up making this easy dip recipe all the time. My family made it so often... for holidays, game days, birthday parties, random Fridays, you name it. We love this dip. It is, indeed, one of my favorite, most nostalgic party foods.
And if you like it, you'll also like my 3 ingredient guacamole recipe. A classic game day appetizer combo.
How to make Baked Chili Dip
3 Ingredient Chili Cheese Dip requires just a few ingredients and about 35 minutes of your time. (But only 3-5 minutes of prep) The dip spends most of its time in the oven. You just layer all the ingredients in a pie dish and bake!
As mentioned, this easy appetizer only has 3 simple ingredients, all of which are delicious. And because it only has 3 ingredients, the total cost is quite low. (Less than $10 for all 3 ingredients). So it's great way to save money when hosting the big game, movie night, or other fun food-centered gathering.
- 8 ounces of cream cheese (1 block or tub)
- 1 15 ounce can of chili, with or without beans.
- 1 and a half cups of shredded cheese such as cheddar cheese.
See recipe card for more information.
This 3 ingredient chili dip recipe requires almost no hands-on time. You just assemble and bake, making it the easiest appetizer ever.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator 20 minutes beforehand to allow it to soften. Then use the back of a large spoon to spread it evenly into the bottom of a round baking dish. OR you can just use a spreadable/ whipped cream cheese instead of the block.
- Next add the can of chili and spread it out over the top of the cream cheese.
- Finally sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the chili, and bake it, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve your cheesy dip with corn chips and an array of sliced fresh vegetables and you have the perfect party appetizer recipe.
- If you forgot to remove the cream cheese form the refrigerator and it's too hard to spread, simply place it in the baking dish and microwave it for 10 seconds. (Remember NOT to microwave the foil wrapper it comes in)
- If your oven runs cool, the chili dip may need a few extra minutes. You'll know it's done when the top layer of cheese melts fully, and the dip bubbles around the edges.
- Make it vegetarian: This recipe works perfectly well with vegetarian chili.
- Kind of cheese: you can use low fat cream cheese (Neufchatel). It works perfectly well in this recipe. You can also play around with the type of shredded cheese on top. Sharp cheddar is typically the most flavorful, but a Colby jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, or even mozzarella cheese will work in a pinch.
Variations on 3 Ingredient Chili Cheese Dip
- Make it more "gourmet" if you want by using leftover homemade chili, topping it with green onion or chives, or adding a spoonful of fresh salsa.
- Add a pop of freshness by topping the finished dip with fresh herbs such as fresh cilantro, chives, scallions, or parsley.
- Make it spicy! Add a layer of picked jalapeños, canned green chiles, or a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
Leftover Chili Cheese Dip
This dip stores and reheats really well.
To refrigerate and eat within a week: Simply spoon the leftover dip into an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. (always make sure leftovers come to room temperature before refrigerating)
To freeze the leftovers and eat within 2 months: You'll want a slightly better seal than a lid can provide. In this case, after the dip comes to room temperature, place it in the container and smooth it out to flatten it. Then press plastic wrap down onto the surface of the dip. Finally, cover it with the lid and freeze.
To reheat leftover dip: When you're ready to heat up the dip the next day (or even a week later) pop it in the microwave for 1 minute at a time, stirring after each minute, until heated through. You can also re-heat it in a 350 degree oven in a small baking dish, or on the stove top in a small sauté pan.
3 Ingredient Chili Cheese Dip RecipePrint
Easy, delicious, nostalgic chili cheeses dip perfect for all kinds of gatherings.
- 8 ounces of cream cheese (1 block or tub)
- 1 15 ounce can of Hormel Chili, with or without beans.
- 1 and a half cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator 20 minutes beforehand to allow it to soften.
- Use the back of a large spoon to spread the cream cheese evenly into the bottom of a round baking dish. Then layer on the can of chili. Then the shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips and vegetables.
Keywords: 3 ingredient chili cheese dip