This Blood Orange Ginger Margarita is the perfect treatment for the winter blues. It can be challenging to know which fruits to buy in winter, since so many of the fruits we love reach their peak during summer. Luckily, with winter comes citrus, and there is arguably nothing more refreshing than citrus. Additionally, there is arguably no more perfect match for citrus than tequila.
Blood Orange and Ginger
Blood orange and ginger flavors pair so perfectly together. They're bright, fresh, and even a little medicinal-tasting. Ginger does help with digestion after all.
This recipe calls for blood oranges due to their sweetness and beautiful bloody pink color. However, you can use a different type of orange if you want to. Some oranges are more acidic than others, and some are more sweet, so the taste will vary slightly depending on which you choose.
Which Spirits to Use
My favorite tequila is undoubtedly Casamigos Tequila Blanco. It's quite smooth and tasty, but reasonably priced compared to other good brands, perfect for making cocktails or sipping on the rocks.
I use Casasmigos for my other delicious margarita recipes too, such as these Maple Vanilla Margaritas and these Watermelon Jalapeño Margaritas.
My orange liqueur of choice is Grand Marnier, which is actually a combination of orange liqueur and cognac. Fancy huh? It's delicious and definitely a tad fancy, so it can be pricey. In fact, this is another liqueur you might want to sip and savor instead of mixing into a cocktail.
Cointreau is another excellent option. It's also a tasty mixture of orange liqueur and cognac, but a little more affordable.
Do me one favor- stay away from the sugar ridden big plastic bottles of Triple Sec that are only 10% alcohol and therefore 90% sugar liquid of some kind. Your hangover, or lack thereof, will thank me.
More cocktail recipes
I really love making cocktails at home using fresh ingredients. My favorite cocktails are those that are thoughtful and tasty but not too sweet, just like this Blood Orange Ginger Margarita. So if you like this one, you'll probably enjoy some of my other creations! Try my recipe for Cucumber Saketinis here.Print
Blood Orange Ginger Margarita
A sweet and tart cocktail to brighten up any happy hour.
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz orange liqueur
- The juice of 1 lime, plus 1 slice for garnish
- The juice of 1 blood orange, plus 1 slice for garnish
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- ½ tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt, plus more for salt rim
- Place sugar, salt, and ginger slices in the bottom of a shaker and muddle well. Add tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, blood orange juice, and 2-3 ice cubes. Shake for 10 seconds.
- Rub one of the juiced pieces of lime around the rim of a rocks glass. Pour a handful of salt onto a plate and roll the rim of the glass in the salt. Fill glass with ice.
- Strain mixture from shaker into glass. Finish with lime and orange garnishes.
Leave a Comment