This Sheet Pan Glazed Meatloaf is one of my most popular recipes among family and friends. It's not your average meatloaf- it's deeply flavorful, has sweet, salty, and umami flavors, and cooks all on one sheet pan.
What is Meatloaf?
In creating this recipe, I had to think– "what is it that makes a meatloaf so meatloafy?" Meatballs certainly aren't meatloaf. The shape has to be a loaf! Said loaf must be soft, not chewy. Hamburgers also aren't meatloaf. Shape aside, it must have flavors of garlic and onion, with both moisturizing and binding ingredients, served with potatoes of some kind. And finally, it absolutely must be glazed in some kind of ketchup-based sauce.
Why Sheet Pan Glazed Meatloaf?
I grew up eating and absolutely loving my grandmothers meatloaf, which is glazed in ketchup and cooked in broth alongside potato wedges, peas, and carrots. It's delicious, but it's her meatloaf.
Salty, Spicy, Umami Meatloaf
I've been using more umami-enhancing flavors in my day-to-day cooking, so I pursued that route by incorporating soy and Worcestershire sauces into the glaze. I also love to add hints of spice where I can, so cayenne and crushed red pepper provide a whisper of spice.I'd argue that adding spice to food, even if it's just a touch, is non-negotiable, like adding salt.
Sheet Pan Magic
Sheet pans allow for excellent browning and caramelization of the vegetables. I was torn between mashed and roasted potatoes, but settled on roasted for the sake of crunchy bits that would form on the bottom of the sheet pan.
You might be thinking- it's not traditional to pile caramelized onions on top of meatloaf. Well, I'm here to tell you, I'm not a very traditional person. This mound of rich, flavorful caramelized onions literally piles on another element of sweet, savory flavor, and just looks downright impressive atop the Meatloaf.
I love my Unicorn Pepper Grinder and bulk peppercorns from Amazon.com. When you have to season a lot of vegetables at once, you need a grinder that works quickly. It's aways good to have extra peppercorns in the pantry to restock the Unicorn at a moments notice.Print
A delicious Sheet Pan Meatloaf that you'll make over and over again.
- 1.3 lb ground pork/veal/beef "meatloaf mix". (see note 1)
- 3 Yukon Gold/ Butter Potatoes, peeled and cut into half-inch cubes
- ½ cup of carrots, diced
- 1 Gala apple, peeled and diced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Olive oil, ¼c, 1tsp, 1Tb for various steps in the process
- ⅛c plain breadcrumbs (see note 2)
- ½ of a yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Soy sauce, 2tsp and ½ tsp for different steps in the process
- Ketchup, ⅛c and ¼c for different steps in the process
- ⅛c milk (Any kind works. I've used oat milk, 1%, and even half & half in the past)
- ¼c grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- ⅜c parsley, chopped
- 2tsp maple syrup (see note 3)
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced (see note 4)
- Salt, freshly cracked black pepper, cayenne, and crushed red pepper for seasoning. (see note 5)
- Mise en place: Preheat oven to 400F. Dice the yellow onion and garlic and set aside in a small bowl. Chop parsley and place into a large bowl. Peel and dice potatoes, apple, and carrots, and spread them onto a baking sheet. Toss with ¼c olive oil, thyme, 2tsp salt, and several cracks of black pepper. Place on the middle rack in your oven and set a timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, remove vegetables from oven, toss them, and create an oblong space in the center of the pan where the meatloaf will be palced.
- While vegetables are getting a head start on their roasting, make your meatloaf mixture. Heat a small skillet with 1tsp olive oil and saute the yellow onion and garlic with a pinch of salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Move them around frequently to keep them from burning. Once soft and starting to brown, deglaze the pan with ½tsp soy sauce and ½tsp water. Once liquid evaporates, which will happen quickly, remove pan from heat to cool.
- In the large bowl already containing the parsley, add the ground meat, egg, ⅛c ketchup, milk, parmesan, breadcrumbs, cooled onion/garlic mixture, 1.5 tsp salt (three 3-finger pinches), and 5 cracks of black pepper. Use your clean hands to combine, but don't over mix. Stop mixing as soon as everything is incorporated to prevent meat from becoming tough. Form meatloaf into an oblong or rectangular shape and place it in the center of the baking sheet.
- Wash your hands, then make your sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the other ¼c ketchup, 2tsp soy sauce, maple syrup, Worcestershire, and a small pinch of cayenne pepper. Pour the sauce all over the meatloaf. Place meatloaf in the oven for 20 minutes. Take it out briefly to toss the vegetables. Return to oven for another 20 minutes. You can take its temperature at the end with an instant read thermometer to make sure it's cooked. Meatloaf should reach an internal temperature of at least 150F. Mine reached 160F. Let it rest for 4 minutes.
- While meatloaf is cooking, make the caramelized onions. Slice the 2 sweet onions. In a large skillet over a medium-high flame, heat 1TB olive oil and place onions in the pan with 2 big pinches of salt, about a teaspoon. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become dark caramel in color. If they start to blacken, lower the heat to medium, and continue to cook, stirring more frequently, but don't be afraid of some parts blackening– when they're done cooking, they will not taste burnt.
- Place 2 slices of meatloaf on each plate, surround them with roasted vegetables, and top with a heaping pile of onions. Use a slotted spoon to plate the vegetables if you'd prefer to leave excess olive oil behind.
- If your grocery store doesn't sell this combination, you can make it yourself by purchasing smaller packages of each, or simply choosing one or two. Ground chicken would also work.
- You can make your own breadcrumbs by toasting a couple slices of bread and crumbling them with your fingers
- Use honey if you don't have syrup
- Vidalia is a brand of sweet onions.
- Freshly cracked pepper is much more flavorful than pre-ground. I love my Unicorn Pepper Grinder and bulk peppercorns from Amazon.com
Keywords: Sheet pan glazed meatloaf, meatloaf