This Grapefruit Basil Cocktail with vodka and lime is a fresh and herbaceous vodka-based cocktail that uses just a few simple ingredients.
How to Make a Grapefruit Basil Cocktail
The process is quick and easy. I recommend buying a cocktail shaker that comes with a muddler.
Muddling the Basil
Muddling herbs, or "crushing" them with a muddler releases their flavor and fragrance. You can muddle intensely for a more basil-toward flavor, or less intensely for a more subtle basil flavor.
Add the Other Ingredients
More specifically, add fresh lime juice, grapefruit juice, vodka, and ice.
Shake It Up
Finally, shake it all up! I prefer almost any cocktail shaken, not stirred. For one, it produces a pleasantly frothy texture that makes the drink somewhat creamy. This creaminess counterbalances the acidity. Moreover, shaking with ice makes the cocktail as cold as can be.
Serve the Basil Grapefruit Cocktail Over Ice
You could easily serve this cocktail straight up. Straight up means that the drink was shaken with ice, but served neat (no ice). However, I like to serve it over even more ice to maintain the basil's fresh taste.
Watch me Make this Basil Grapefruit Cocktail on TikTok
Some Other Cocktail Recipes from On the Bias
Rosé Spritz with Rosemary Infused Vodka
Blood Orange Ginger MargaritaPrint
An easy, herbaceous cocktail, that's cold and refreshing for all your summer happy hours.
- 2 oz vodka
- 4 oz grapefruit juice
- 2 basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- The juice of ½ of a lime, plus 1 wedge for garnish
- 1 cup of ice (half for shaking, half for serving)
- Muddle the basil and lime juice in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
- Add the vodka, grapefruit juice, and half the ice. Cover and shake well for 10 seconds.
- Pour over a rocks glass with the rest of the ice. (Note 1)
- Garnish with basil and lime
- If you want the lower the ABV, pour the cocktail into a tall glass instead of a rocks glass, and fill with seltzer.