The beauty of this Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing lies in its simplicity. It's restaurant quality- you know the type. The kind that uses high quality flavorful blue cheese and has a thick, almost paste-like texture. Chunks galore. Is your mouth watering yet?
If you like the inherently stinky sweet taste of blue cheese, then you'll love this recipe.
In fact, it's so simple, it calls for only TWO luscious ingredients:
- Your favorite blue cheese
- Creme fraiche
- Plus enough water to turn it into a dip/dressing (2-3 tablespoons) and a pinch of salt.
There's something so special about good ingredients that can stand on their own. If you use high-quality blue cheese that's delicious by itself, you'll undoubtedly end up with delicious chunky blue cheese dressing as a result.
Moreover, creme fraiche is one of those ingredients I could eat by the spoonful. It's so creamy but has more to it than just creaminess. It also offers really flavorful acidity, like sour cream but smoother.
How to make Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
It helps to have a scale to weigh your blue cheese. If you don't have a scale, you can eyeball it based on how large the piece is that you purchased.
- In a medium bowl combine 4oz blue cheese (use the softer, inner part if possible), ½ cup creme fraiche, and 2 Tb water
- Mash, stir, and fold until well-combined. If it gets really hard to stir, add 1 more tablespoon of water and mash and stir some more. Do this until it resembles a paste.
This chunky blue cheese dressing is supposed to be thick and paste like; NOT runny. I firmly believe there's nothing worse than a loose runny blue cheese dressing with a few chunks of blue cheese here and there.
Equipment needed to make Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
Food Processors make many kitchen tasks easier
You'll notice this recipe calls for mashing the blue cheese and creme fraiche with a fork. It's true. You don't need a food processor to make this dressing. However, it would be much easier with one. Food processors come in handy for many of my recipes including
It has many other uses too such as...
- Pie dough
- Homemade breadcrumbs
- Dicing large batches of onions, celery, and mushrooms for Thanksgiving stuffing
Please, use whatever mixing or serving bowls you want to make this blue cheese dressing recipe. I just thought the ones above were ADORABLE. I definitely have a thing for cute bowls.
A good Serving Tray
If you entertain a lot like I do, it's important to have a good reliable serving tray. Maybe this intricate charcuterie board isn't your speed. That's OK. Pick something more sleek and simple you can throw a batch of hot wings or vegetables on.
What to do with leftover creme fraiche
- Make my Spicy Calabrian Chili Vodka Sauce
- Use it in place of sour cream, such as on tacos or in my recipe for garlic lime crema
Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing Video Tutorial
What to serve it with
- Calabrian Chili Wings
- A platter of fresh crunchy vegetables
- All Things BBQ's Black and Blue Burger
- A wedge salad
The chunkiest most delicious blue cheese calls for just 2 ingredients- blue cheese and creme fraiche. It's rich and creamy, and ultra flavorful.
- 4 oz blue cheese, hand-crumbled
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- 3-5 Tb water
- Salt to taste
- Place creme fraiche, blue cheese, and 3 Tb of water into a bowl or food processor.
- Mash and stir with a fork, or blend if using a food processor, until a thick paste forms but a lot of chunks are still visible. Add more water, 1 Tb at a time, to thin the dressing out if needed.
- Season with salt to taste.
Keywords: chunky blue cheese dressing